A delicious vegan Christmas Gingerbread recipe by Niomi Smart.
- 2 cups Spelt Flour
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tbsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Almond Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup Maple syrup
- 1/2 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 tbsp Blackstrap Molasses
- Start by mixing together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger and cinnamon in a large bowl, then set aside.
- In a small saucepan melt the coconut oil until warm, but not hot. In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil with the almond milk, coconut sugar, maple syrup, and blackstrap molasses. It helps if you use an electric whisk.
- Slowly pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to combine until a dough forms. If the mixture is looking too wet, add a little more flour.
- Roll the dough into a ball and wrap in cling film. Keep in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Flour a kitchen worktop and roll out the dough to about a 1/4 inch thick. Cut out the gingerbread men with a cutter, and once you have used up all the dough, use a smaller cutter in the middle of the gingerbread men. I like to keep some men whole and some cutout.
- Bake for 12 minutes on some greaseproof paper on a baking tray, and allow it to cool fully before decorating.